Gatwick Airport Area
Home Up Index DNA Search Sending Info About
 

Culpepper Places
Gatwick Airport Area
In West Sussex and Surrey, England

Gatwick Airport Area Index

bullet

Ardingly Church. Impressive Culpeper Brasses

bullet

Balcombe. Naylands Manor

bullet

Bletchingley, Surrey

bullet

Crawley, West Sussex. A Culpeper Brass and Rowley Farm

bullet

Cuckfield, West Sussex

bullet

East Grinstead, West Sussex

bullet

Horley, Surrey

bullet

Lindfield, West Sussex

bullet

Slaugham, West Sussex

bullet

Turners Hill, West Sussex. Paddockhurst, now  Worth School

bullet

Wakehurst Place. A magnificent old Culpeper home and now the site of the Royal Botanic Gardens.

bullet

West Hoathley, West Sussex

Bletchingley, Surrey

Culpepers at Bletchingley

bullet

See entries in English Parish Registers.

Bletchingley Church, March 20001831 Topographical Dictionary

BLETCHINGLEY, or BLECHINGLEY, a borough and parish, (formerly a market town), in the first division of the hundred of TANDRIDGE, county of SURREY, 24 miles (E.) from Guildford, and 20 (S.) from London, containing 1187 inhabitants. The town is pleasantly situated on an eminence commanding an extensive prospect of the South Downs and other parts of Sussex; it is of some antiquity, and had a castle erected soon after the Conquest, by Gilbert, Earl of Clare, which was demolished by Prince Edward after the battle of Lewes, which took place in 1264, and the foundations alone are now remaining... The church, dedicated to St. Mary (photo taken by Warren Culpepper, March 2000), is a spacious and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a low tower; it had a lofty spire, which was destroyed by lightning in 1606... This town is near a Roman road, and at a short distance, in the parish of Caterham, is a fortification, called the Cardinal's Cap: at Pendhill, in this parish, some workmen discovered part of the foundations of a Roman bath, the different apartments in which were paved, and some of the walls lined with Roman tiles. 

National Grid Coordinates (Church)

TQ 327 509

Cuckfield, West Sussex

Culpepers at Cuckfield:

bullet

Richard Culpeper of Onstye in Cuckfield (Abt. 1527 - 1598)

bullet

Sir Walter Hendley of Copshorn in Cranbrook (born about 1500) has a helmet mounted on the wall at Cuckfield Church. His daughter, Helen Hendley, was the second wife of Thomas Culpeper of Bedgebury, and they had four children.

Hendley Helmet at Cuckfield
Sir Walter Hendley's Helmet
Warren Culpepper Photo

Cuckfield Church1831 Topographical Dictionary

CUCKFIELD, a market town and parish, in the hundred of BUTTINGHILL, rape of LEWES, county of SUSSEX, 25 miles (N.E. by E.) from Chichester, and 40 (S.) from London, on the road to Brighton, containing 2385 inhabitants. This place is situated on a pleasant eminence, nearly in the centre of the county, and is handsomely built of fine free-stone, of which there are excellent quarries in the neighbourhood: the path-ways in the town are laid with bricks of a very firm and durable quality, formed of red clay, which is found within the distance of four miles, where also are strata of pipe-clay of peculiar whiteness: the inhabitants are supplied with water from springs... The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity (photo taken by Warren Culpepper, March 2000),  is a large and handsome structure in the decorated style of English architecture, with a square tower surmounted by a spire covered with shingles, which, from its elevated situation, has been frequently injured by lightning...

National Grid Coordinates (Church)

bullet

TQ 304 245

East Grinstead, West Sussex

Culpepers at East Grinstead:

bullet

Jasper Culpeper of Arlington, B.A. Oxford, 1522, grandson of Nicholas and Elizabeth Culpeper of Wakehurst. Returned M.P. for East Grinstead, Kent, 4 Nov 1547

bullet

Richard Culpeper of Moulsecoomb in Patcham, grandson of Nicholas and Elizabeth Culpeper of Wakehurst, had four children baptized at East Grinstead:
bullet

Thomas Culpeper,  25 Feb 1576

bullet

John Culpeper, 23 Feb 1578

bullet

Richard Culpeper, 14 Apr 1583

bullet

Nicholas Culpeper, M.A. (father of Nicholas, the Herbalist), 23 Apr 1580

1831 Topographical Dictionary

GRINSTEAD (EAST), a borough, market town, and parish, in the hundred of EASTGRINSTEAD, rape of PEVENSEY, county of SUSSEX, 19 miles (N.) from Lewes, and 29 (S. by E.) from London, containing 3153 inhabitants. The town is pleasantly situated on an eminence near the northern border of the county, on the road from London to Brighton: it was formerly a place of considerable importance, having given name to the hundred. It is irregularly built, but contains several neat modern houses; it is paved, but not lighted, and is supplied with water from wells... The church, dedicated to St. Swithin, is a handsome edifice in the later style of English architecture, consisting of a nave, aisles, chancel, and chantry chapels, and containing several interesting monuments. The tower, which was rebuilt after having fallen down in 1785, is a well proportioned structure, ornamented with angular pinnacles, and surmounted by a lofty spire...

Note: Culpepper Connections has not yet visited East Grinstead to photograph or research for family memorials.

National Grid Coordinates (Church)

bullet

TQ

Horley, Surrey

Culpepers at Horley

bullet

See entries in English Parish Registers.

1831 Topographical Dictionary

HORLEY, a parish in the first division of the hundred of REIGATE, county of SURREY, 5 miles (S.S.E.) from Reigate, containing 1063 inhabitants... The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew  (Photo taken by Warren Culpepper, March 2000).

National Grid Coordinates (Church)

bullet

TQ 270 435
 

Lindfield, West Sussex

Culpepers at Horley

bullet

See entries in English Parish Registers.

1831 Topographical Dictionary

LINDFIELD, a parish in the hundred of BURLEY-ARCHES, or BURARCHES, rape of PEVENSEY, county of SUSSEX, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Cuckfield, containing 1410 inhabitants... The church, which is dedicated to St. John the Baptist  (Photo taken by Warren Culpepper, March 2000), is in the decorated and later styles of English architecture... The river Ouse is navigable for barges to this place.

National Grid Coordinates (Church)

bullet

TQ 348 254

Slaugham, West Sussex

Culpepers at Slaugham

bullet

Charles Culpeper of Slaugham (Abt. 1554 - 1614)

Slaugham Church1831 Topographical Dictionary

SLAUGHAM (Slaff'm) a parish in the hundred of BUTTINGHILL, rape of LEWES, county of SUSSEX, 4 miles (N.W. by W.) from Cuckfield, containing 933 inhabitants. The church, dedicated to St. Mary (Photo taken by Warren Culpepper, March 2000), is in the decorated style of English architecture.

National Grid Coordinates (Church)

bullet

TQ 257 281

West Hoathly, West Sussex

Culpepers at West Hoathly

bullet

Anne Culpepper, 1595-1624, wife of Thomas Wood of West Hoathly is said by Col. Attree in the Sussex Colepepers-II, to have a monumental inscription here. (Not yet located by Culpeper Connections)

bullet

Catherine Culpeper, 1597-1623, wife of Richard Infield of Gravetye, West Hoathly, gent. was buried here.

bullet

Catherine Culpeper, 1625-1691, married both Edward Browne (1680) and George Brigstocke (1682) here, 

West Hoathley, Sussex Church, March 20001831 Topographical Dictionary

HOATHLY (WEST), a parish in the hundred of BUTTINGHILL, rape of LEWES, county of SUSSEX, 4 miles (S.W. by S.) from East Grinsted, containing 943 inhabitants... The church is partly in the early, and partly in the decorated, style of English architecture... (Photo taken by Warren Culpepper, March 2000), is in the decorated style of English architecture.

National Grid Coordinates (Church)

bullet

TQ 363 326

Last Revised: 09 Jan 2006

 

 
 Home Up Index DNA Search Sending Info About

Culpepper Connections! The Culpepper Family History Site