Barming is a predominately
residential area that has been subsumed into Maidstone and
so bears little resemblance to the original village.
However, it does possess a lovely wooden bridge over the
Medway, which provides a starting point for a choice of
riverside walks. One such walk goes to East Farleigh,
hugging the river bank while steep hills rise to the south.
(Hidden Places of Kent)
1831 Topographical Dictionary:
BARMING, a parish in the hundred of MAIDSTONE, lathe of
AYLESFORD, county of KENT, 2½ miles SW from
Maidstone, containing 406 inhabitants. The church, which has a fine spire, is dedicated
to St. Margaret. The river Medway, over which, at St.
Helen's, there is a timber bridge, runs through the parish.
The soil in the neighborhood is peculiarly adapted for the
cultivation of hops, and a large quantity of fruit is sent
to the London markets.
the 1831 Topographical Dictionary Entry
By D. A. H. Cleggett, Historical Adviser and Archivist, Leeds Castle
Foundation, 28 Aug 2000:
Events have moved since the publication
of the 1831 Topographical Dictionary. There is not a wooden
bridge over the Medway at St. Helen's. The river is spanned
by a utilitarian metal footbridge. Hops are not now grown in
any quantity in this or any other parish in Kent.
East Barming Location:
On the A-26, 2 miles W of Maidstone, 10 miles N of Goudhurst.
National Grid Coordinates: TQ