Paddockhurst
Home Up Index DNA Search Sending Info About
 

Paddockhurst
Turners Hill, West Sussex, England

Paddockhurst at Worth Abbey

The first time the name of the property called Paddockhurst occurs is in 1691 when it appears to be part of the Wakehurst estate of Ardingly. A deed of sale of that year shows that Sir William Culpepper15wk of Wakehurst sold part of what used to be Wakehurst Place as a separate property known as Paddockhurst. In a five year period, William, the last of the Wakehurst Culpepers, gambled away all that his family had accumulated over two centuries. (Details of William's profligacy.)

Worth School at the old Culpeper Manor of Paddockhurst
Worth School, March 2000
Photo by Warren Culpepper

The Paddockhurst property today is the site of Worth School, a Benedictine Catholic school for boys. Old Farm Cottages, the timber-frame cottages in the hollow to the right of the main school gate, are thought to be the oldest buildings on site (possibly fifteenth century). The buildings up the slope to the left of the drive are the main house of the original property or, at least, the site of it (now known as Austin House). Paddockhurst was little more than a farm house. The present building is probably late eighteenth or early nineteenth century. 



The Victorian Paddockhurst
Paddockhurst during Victorian times

Worth Abbey, Turners Hill, West Sussex

Location: 30 miles WSW of Goudhurst, on the B2110, 2 miles W of Turners Hill.
National Grid Coordinates: TQ 317 345

Also see:
bullet

The Culpepers of Wakehurst Place

bullet

Worth Abbey/Worth School Web Site

Last Revised: 27 Mar 2004

 

 
 Home Up Index DNA Search Sending Info About

Culpepper Connections! The Culpepper Family History Site